Babinda Belle: History in the Making
Breathing new life into local traditions, the Babinda Belle is an exciting collaboration between Cairns company, Maxa Constructions and Brisbane’s Garth Chapman Queenslanders.
Traditional Queenslander designs take pride of place in the state’s architectural heritage. They’ve stood the test of time, offering a relaxed environment that suits the tropical climate. Their appeal is that time seems to slow down on entry – the perfect counterplay to the fast pace of modern life.
The Babinda Belle is a Queenslander nestled peacefully into the rural landscape of historic Babinda. Brisbane couple Leo and Vanessa Bell had a dream to own a traditional Queenslander, with all the trims and features of an original, but with a modern upgrade for comfort and sustainability. After engaging Garth Chapman Queenslanders (GCQ) as the designer, Maxa Constructions was appointed as the master builder in a north-south partnership that goes from strength to strength.
Maxa was responsible for the meticulous construction of the home to GCQ’s exacting specifications and it’s the finer details and authentic features of the property that make it all the more impressive.
‘…your team clearly is passionate about delivering fine finishes…The quality of workmanship throughout the whole house will be admired by us for years to come,’ says owner, Vanessa Bell.
This classic country homestead is a convincing replica of local history and timber features strongly in the design. With the traditional stump construction of a low set Queenslander, the home sits perfectly on its rural acreage encircled by cane fields.
Elegant with her timber skirt battens and fancy fretwork, the Babinda Belle is built to last and to stake her claim in the architectural history of the area.
The Babinda Belle is the quintessential Queenslander and more. It is a triumphant blend of old meets new: all the traditional old-world features you would expect, combined with stylish finishes and contemporary comforts.
- Polished hardwood floors and 3 metre ceilings throughout
- Light, airy and spacious
- Family-friendly floor plan: central living space flanked by bedrooms
- Layout true to the simplicity of traditional Queenslander design
- Master bedroom with ensuite and walk-in robe. French doors to front deck
- Traditional features: dado rails, tongue and groove timber flooring
- Shaker style 2PAC kitchen cabinetry with Smartstone benchtops
- Hardwood decking at rear and entrance
- Large, shaded rear deck for indoor-outdoor living
- Decorative timber fretwork, finial and roof vent.
- Custom built window hoods
- Heritage-style exterior cladding, timber mouldings and sill profiles
Climate Smart Features
- Traditional stump construction offers flood proofing and cooling ventilation
- Timber louvres and contemporary casement windows echo tradition
and allow for cross ventilation
- Ornate door over-lights add authentic detailing and allow light
and air to pass from room to room
- Front and rear verandas shade the home and allow for cross ventilation
- Fully airconditioned – for that modern touch of comfort
- Post War Cottage RenovationThis great little cottage was tranformed in a recent renovation into a perfect inner city home.Beautifully Renovated QueenslanderThere’s nothing more satisfying than seeing a home owner’s renovation vision come to life. The renovation of this Queenslander home in Cairns was one of those moments.Small Lot Home in Edge HillThese home owners bought a subdivided block and built their dream house.1980’s Home MakeoverThere's a story to this picture and it begins with a burst pipe in the kitchen and ends with a total home makeover.A Serial Renovator’s DreamThis 1950's home was a 'Renovator's Dream' with all the original finishes.Custom Designed Home – Case StudyNestled into the rainforest is this brand new custom designed home, designed to take advantage of the gorgeous location. It seamlessly blends polished concrete, cladding and timber to harmonise with it’s tropical surrounds.Balinese Inspired Pavilion HomeThe Peak is a contemporary, pavilion styled home with Balinese influences that perfectly suits our tropical North Queensland climate. With five pavilions, linked together by a central breezeway and lush landscaping, you can’t help but feel like you’re on holiday as you take in the infinity pool and spectacular city views. This home was custom designed specifically for the owners.New Home – Tropical Home RangeCairnsAs a Cairns builder offering renovation and extensions, this house allowed us to show our skill blending modern finishes into the original character of the home. With careful recycling, restoring and matching to existing finishes, we turned this date house into a contemporary family home