CAIRNS’ RENOVATION & EXTENSION SPECIALISTS
Deciding to renovate or extend the family home isn’t a decision made lightly. Often it comes from a place of necessity.
You don’t want to move because you love the house you’re in, but you really need a dedicated playroom for the kids, or an adult retreat to unwind and relax. Maybe hosting the whole family for special occasions just isn’t possible at the moment, so you want an updated decking and entertaining area that allows everyone to come together to create wonderful memories. Whatever the reason for undergoing home renovations or extensions, Maxa Constructions can design the solution that works with what you have, to create what you need.
Extend your home. Extend your lifestyle.
When you’re bursting at the seams, there is another option to moving house. Once predominantly back of house additions, savvy home owners and investors are looking at extension possibilities in all directions, up, out and even under. A good extension provides a seamless integration into the main structure of the home and clever design will ensure no eye-jarring tie-ins, even when the main home is of a different era.
Renovating & extending your home with a specialist builder means you get to:
- Keep what you like about your home and change what you don’t
- Stage the work so large projects can be scheduled to suit your timetable
- Stay in your suburb and community where you feel comfortable
- Increase the value of your largest asset of the home and clever design will ensure no eye-jarring tie-ins, even when the main home is of a different era.
RENOVATE AND CREATE THE HOME YOU’VE DREAMED ABOUT
Renovate to create the home you’ve dreamed about.
You don’t want a bigger home. You like your house the size it is. You love the location. But…
You do want to change the way your home looks and feels, especially as it’s looking a little tired or the space isn’t quite working for you anymore. By renovating, you’ll be transforming your home within it’s existing footprint. Maxa Construction can help with:
- Removing walls to kitchen, living and dining areas to create an open plan area for better use
- Combining a kitchen renovation with an outdoor extension to create a seamless, multi-purpose area to use all year round
- Redesigning main thoroughfares and high use rooms for better flow, usage and storage
- Reconfiguring bathrooms for better usage including more storage space or natural light, separating or adding utilities, and making sure there’s no conflict when opening doors
Nestled into the rainforest is this brand-new contemporary home, designed to take advantage of the gorgeous location. It seamlessly blends polished concrete, cladding and timber to harmonise with it’s tropical surrounds.
The home was designed to nestle into the contours of the hillslope. It features four bedrooms & a separate living area on the ground level. Timber verandahs surround the upper living level which creates a wall-less home when the sliding glass doors are open. Timber flooring on the upper levels, and polished concrete on the lower levels define the purpose of the two spaces.
This striking, custom designed home is an example of a great partnership between the client, home designer & builder.
Builder: Maxa Constructions
Designer: Tony Lawson Design
Build Cost: $400,000 +
Build Time: 29 Weeks
The Peak is a contemporary, pavilion styled home with Balinese influences that perfectly suits our tropical climate. With five pavilions, linked together by a central breezeway and lush landscaping, you can’t help but feel like you’re on holiday as you take in the infinity pool and spectacular city views. This resort style home offers privacy with the living area separate to the five bedrooms. Low maintenance is a key feature of the build including internal render to the walls and no grout in the bathrooms and wet areas to minimise cleaning.
As a Cairns builder offering renovation and extensions, this house allowed us to show our skill blending modern finishes into the original character of the home. With careful recycling, restoring and matching to existing finishes, we turned this date house into a contemporary family home
This Edge Hill cottage was in need of complete makeover. The kitchen was relocated to the rear of the home to be closer to the deck. The old space became a bedroom and an ensuite and walk-in robe was added to the master bedroom. History has it that the original builder had only one eye, so the house was built a slant! This meant features like windows and the front door needed to be custom made to fit into their respective recesses.
This post-war Queenslander in Edge Hill has received a classic makeover. From tulip oak floors to custom-made weatherboards, the combination of old and new materials blends seamlessly. Large two-way, ceiling to floor bifold doors open the living area onto the deck and pool. The extension includes a master bedroom wing with parents’ deck, ensuite and walk-in robe, as well as a large shed built to complement the style of the house.
A beautiful renovation in Mooroobool where we gutted the downstairs of this 1990’s home. The walls & old staircase removed to make way for an open-plan living area. Bi-fold timber windows and doors open the kitchen and living up to the outdoor & pool area. With a new kitchen, pantry, tiles & Maxa designed staircase, the home has become more livable for this large family.
Tired and drab, this 1950’s home needed a complete makeover. With a client brief to bring the home up to date and take advantage of the stunning views, it was an absolute joy to watch this project come together. The original home only had 2 bedrooms, so an extension was added to accommodate another bedroom and enlarge the living and kitchen. The inclusion of stacking doors onto the deck makes this home an entertainer’s delight.
This Maxa designed home was built with the investor in mind after the owners lost the original cottage in fire. The new home was designed around the existing swimming pool, which had survived the fire.
This home features a large living area which opens up onto the rear patio with stacking sliding doors. The stacking doors are full height, which means they extend to the ceiling, allowing more natural light into the living areas.
As a low maintenance option, polished concrete floors are featured throughout the house which has 3 bedrooms and a media room. The media room can also be converted to a guest bedroom as it can be closed off from the living areas with stacking doors,
In keeping with the charector homes in Edge Hill, the exterior was clad in weatherboards.
Buider: Maxa Constructions
Designer: Maxa Constructions – Drafted by Driscoll Carvey
Build Cost: $250,000
Build Time: 20 Weeks
Features – 3 Bedrooms + Media Room + Polished Concrete Floors
Awarded Qld Master Builder’s Sustainable Home of the Year in 2011, the project was one of our favourites. With detailed planning and input from the owner, designer and builder, the home achieved a 10-Star Energy Efficiency Rating. Crafted from the original pylon timber of the River, the home boasts a range of sustainable features including an indoor drying room.
HOW DO I GET MY RENOVATION STARTED?
Planning your Renovaiton & Extension
If this is your first renovation project, you might feel a bit lost & overwhelmed in the beginning.
There are some essential things you’ll need to think about when planning your home renovation.
- Your Budget. Deciding how much you want to spend is essential. Even if you’re unsure what a renovation will cost, set the limit you want to spend.
- Ideas & Design. Write your wish list for your home. You might want to extend the living area, add a new bathroom or simply refurbish the existing home layout.
- Consultation. This is where we turn your ideas into a plan. We’ll bring our 20 years of renovation & building knowledge to you and discuss the best way to achieve your renovation & extension. We’ll add to your ideas and guide you on the technical aspects of the renovation.
- Plans. A great renovation starts with great planning. Plans drawn by a qualified Draftperson, Designer or Architect are the foundations of your renovations. You’ll need to submit plans to Council, so making sure they have all the information you need is essential. Working closely with your builder during the design process ensures your plans stay within your renovation budget. At Maxa, we can design and draft the plans for your next home renovation & extension.
- Finishes. Choosing your fixtures & fittings is the fun part and at Maxa, we have an in-house Interior Design service to help you through this process.
- Quotes. As mentioned, detailed building plans are an asset to any renovation. The greater the detail, the easier to compare quotes from tradespeople.
- Start your Reno.